The Bilaspur district lies between 310 12’ 30’’ and 310 35’ 45’’ North latitude and between 760 23’ 45’’ and 760 55’ 40’’ East longitude in the outer hills of the Himalayas next to the Punjab plains and forms a part of the basin of river Satluj which flows meandering across it for about ninety kilometers. It covers an area of 1,167 sq. kms. Its boundaries touch Una, Hamirpur, Mandi and Solan districts. Satluj is the main river which passes through the middle of the district and divides it into almost equal parts.
There are seven hill ranges in the district i.e. Naina Devi, Kot, Jhanjiar, Tiun, Bandala, Bahadurpur and Rattanpur that is why this district is known as Satdhar Kahloor in the princely times. Majority of these constitutes a changar agro-ecological situation of the district.
Before Independence:- The erstwhile ruling family of Bilaspur claims its descent from Chanderwanshi Rajputs who reigned at Chanderi in the Bundelkhad region of Madhya Pradesh. The place now forms part of Guna district. It is said that the seventh ruler of Chanderi Kingdom Harihar Chand had a dream of Goddess Jawalamukhi. Thereafter, he decided to seek his fortune in a shrine. As a result of this, he handed over the kingdom to his youngest son Govind and then proceeded towards Jawalamukhi along with his remaining four sons and established themselves at Jindbari where they constructed a fort and settled there for some time before proceeding to Jawalamukhi.
After Independence:- Himachal Pradesh came into being as a part ‘C’ State of the Indian Union on 15th April, 1948 as result of merger of 30 Punjab and Shimla Hill State in the Indian Union. At that time the state had 4 districts viz. Chamba, Mahasu, Mandi, Sirmaur and its area was 2,716,850 hectares. The State was taken over under the Central administration on the12th October, 1948.By an act of Parliament the 31st state of Bilaspur which was till then a separate entity under the control of Chief Commissioner, was integrated with Himachal Pradesh on 1st July, 1954 thereby adding one more district with an area of 106,848 hectares.
Initially, it consisted of two tehsils namely, Ghumarwin and Bilaspur Sadar. In January, 1980 the state government created a separate sub-tehsil called Naina Devi with headquarters at Swarghat out of Bilaspur Sadar Tehsil. In 1984 one new sub-tehsil namely, Jhandutta was created by carving out some areas of tehsil Ghumarwin. Jhandutta sub-tehsil was given full tehsil status in January, 1998. Administratively, the district is divided into two sub-divisions, 3 tehsils, 1 sub-tehsil, 3 community development blocks, 136 panchayats, 2 municipal committees and 2 notified area committees.
Call:01978-209560,209561 / Email:email@example.com